Charles Washington LATIMER 4,6
|Born: 22 Feb 1868, Cannelton, Perry Co., Indiana|
|Married: 25 Jul 1889, Cannelton Methodist Church|
|Died: 1962, Cannelton, Perry Co., Indiana|
|Buried: Cliff Cemetery, Cannelton Indiana|
Charles Latimer retired in 1936, after holding two jobs. The first was as an engineer for the American Cannel Coal Company. He remembers when mule cars were used in the early days to haul coal from the mine about two and one-half miles to the Ohio River for transportation to points up and down the River. The mule cars were later replaced by a donkey engine with a whistle which could be heard for miles around. About the turn of the Century, the American Cannel Coal Company ceased operations as the coal lay too far from the tipple to make mining profitable.
Mr. Latimer then became an engineer at the U.S. Hame Company in Tell City. He worked there until the company closed its Tell City plant and moved to Frankfort, Indiana, at which time he retired from active work. After retirement, he devoted himself to raising chickens and tending his garden. He was an active member of James Lodge No. 100, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, for 73 years, and served as District Deputy for Perry County under four Grand Masters of the lodge. He was also a member of the Rebekah Lodge for more than 50 years, and organized the Doolittle Mills Chapter of the Rebekahs. He served as treasurer of the Cannelton School Board for six years and as a member of the County Advisory Board for eight years. During his term of service on the School Board, the present Community Building was built, and while a member of the Advisory Board, the Troy Consolidated School became a reality.
He and his wife, Anna, were members of St. John's Evangelical and Reformed Church in Cannelton.
Charles married Anna Margaretta KIESER, daughter of Ernest KIESER and Catherine SCHOTT, on 25 Jul 1889 in Cannelton Methodist Church. (Anna Margaretta KIESER was born on 15 Apr 1871 in Cannelton, Perry Co., Indiana, died on 20 Mar 1950 and was buried in Cliff Cemetery, Cannelton Indiana.)
Resided at 411 E. Seventh Street, Cannelton, Indiana, for their entire life together. When they purchased the property, their was a log cabin on it. They lived in the log cabin until their home was built.